Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Routines and imperfections

So I started this Blog.. to share with the world my life... A way for me to communicate/vent/boast/or just talk with other moms and with people willing to listen (or read in this case)....  And of course, I got too busy and never followed through.... (again the story of my life)

So since last July much has happened, we moved to our new house and became official homeowners, my son started kindergarten, my daughter became fully potty-trained, and my husband started back to school (AGAIN)... leaving me with little time to think or sleep.

I told myself this year, I'm going to stay ahead of the game, I'm going to get organized quick, Stick to a routine, and actually cook dinner... So far so good (except weekends). 3 weeks into school and my children have had a homemade dinner on their table almost every night (which those of you who know me, know this is a big deal). See when my son was first born, my fiancé preached routine, routine, routine.... and I being a young new mom, thought to myself routine is not that important, it was never a necessity to me in my life... so I agreed I would try, but never held my end of the bargain up... Then came Miss Thang, which I like to call her, (unplanned, our little surprise, 15 months after her big brother, beautiful little girl). She has given a new meaning to the phrase horrific threes and attitude. OH but don't under estimate her because this girl can light up a room with her smile. She made me realize how important routine was.... which means HE was right.... so the other night after dinner and when the kids were in bed... we got our twenty minute conversation in while our eyes were still open... and I actually admitted to him that he was right (although it could have just been sleep deprivation :-)). Boy, Oh boy did he bask in his glory... kept asking me to say it again (you know how it goes, cant just take a compliment ;-) ). This realization has helped me understand that this parenting thing is a team sport, that we are going to continue to grow as a family. We're going to have a lot of bumps and bruises along the way, but more smiles and laughter. That he is going to be right about a lot of things, that he too also has their best interests in mind, that he loves them just as much as I do. I see it in his eyes every time he looks at them.

I guess I'm just proud of myself... for years and years I've compared my self to other moms/people/friends putting my self down because I didn't do things like everyone else. Why were my kids always acting crazy in front of company? Why were my children's stories always worse? Why are my kids more aggressive? Why do I never have enough time to do anything? Why isn't my house as clean as there's? Etc. I've finally realized that my life is perfect just the way it is. My children in ALL their imperfections are perfect!!

Toys all over the floor means my children have way more than they need.

Laundry that is NEVER caught up, just means we have a life too, and we don't have to walk around naked (trust me it's a site).

Dishes piled up, means that I get to thank God every night for making sure we have food on our table for not just one meal, but all three.

Dirt on my floor means my children get to play outside, see/enjoy sunshine, and a roof over their heads to protect them from the weather.

Fingerprints on my windows (that are never cleaned off) means that children live here.

But what's best of all is that every night, I have to sing to them "You are my sunshine", afterwards,  they give me a huge hug and a kiss; and tell me "I love you, mom!" I must be doing something right!


I finally understand that life is not always about everyone else... it's about you... and In my own time I will get to where I need to be; one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment