Monday, September 15, 2014

Ninja Turtles and Nursing

Okay guys... I made it.. my 2nd post in less than a year... you all should be proud. Don't get excited though it's only my 2nd post, technically my 3rd.

So, having a full-time job I had to work over the weekend. To those who don't know I am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts. Friday was a very productive day (well I don't know about THAT productive; it only took me 4 hours to clean both of my dirty little rugrats' rooms).  Saturday morning as I leave out the door I tell my children "On Monday, I expect these rooms to look like they do now or close to it. If not Mommy is going to be upset." Deep down I knew this was almost impossible, but it was worth the try. Usually throwing the phrase "makes mommy upset" they have a little bit of remorse and listen well at least for a little bit. I beg their father "please don't let my work go in vain". Well we all know how this works; he says "okay" but by the look on his face states that I'm just interrupting his Saturday cartoons ;). I just hold my breath and wait til Monday.

On Sunday, I get the look from my hubby that he's exhausted with the infamous quote as I'm leaving for work "Thank God you're off tomorrow!" About thirty minutes later I get this picture
 
As I literally laugh out loud, I already know the day my baby-daddy (my favorite nickname for him) is going to have. (P.S. the Hulk is Miss Thang this costume seems to fit her personality the best :-) ).
I go throughout my day ya know, saving lives.... haha totally kidding. And about half way through my day I receive another picture...
 
 
Along with it came a text: "Addy, is cheering him on saying 'Go ninja, Go ninja, Go!'" Yes, just in case you were wondering that is my 5 year old son, climbing my door frame... as I laugh again, deep down all I can picture is him falling and breaking his arm. Now my hubby knows I'm a nurse, and HE knows that I work in the ER and HE hears stories of all the little ones I see with broken limbs... so why is he letting him do this; while taking a picture. lol I'll never know. I show a few fellow nurses at work and I got the "Oh, he's a boy" while they laugh...  No, Thank God he did not get hurt... and I have seen him do this a couple of times since I've been home and EVERY time I cringe inside and say a little prayer.
 
This is a typical day in my house... most of you can relate, this I am sure... Children leave you guessing all the time... Sometimes, I have no idea what they are going to do or say.... I think sometimes as the days and weeks progress we (well I know I do) get tired and exhausted and take for-granted the little things or I guess in this case the BIG things ... that today my children are healthy and alive. The job I do is tough, I never know what I am going to see... some days are worst than others.
 
After this weekend though.. it was a quick check back to reality... I am BLESSED more than I know...
 
I am thankful that my children have a heartbeat and are alive.. unlike the patient's hand I held who during her 2nd trimester found out her baby's heartbeat had stopped beating or one of my best friend's who can't wait to hold her first child, but has had two miscarriages.
 
I am thankful my children can talk in full sentences; unlike the several children this weekend that couldn't say a complete sentence without gasping for air... with a mask on for hours to  just help them breathe.
 
I am thankful that my children have never had to experience a major surgery or even have one worry that their heart is not working correctly or that their face, body, and legs are suddenly not working correctly like other children that I've seen here recently.
 
I am thankful that they are healthy and alive, that they are able to climb walls, and that they are able to get on my nerves because at the end of the day that's their job. There are mother's out there who wish their child could run, talk, hear, breathe, and climb. Who fight for their child's health everyday. My heart breaks for them... As a mother that is your greatest fear..
 
Sometimes it's good for me to see these things because it makes me appreciate how lucky I truly am.... Tonight, I'm going to kiss my children again, say a little prayer, and thank GOD for my blessings that I tend to take for-granted more than I should!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment